Serving Tampa Bay and Central Florida since 1970
What Is a Key Fob?
A key fob is a wireless remote that interacts with the electronics in your car. A fob can have many functions. It can open the doors, start the car, and in some cases, it will open doors and start the car without being physically touched by the user. Sometimes the fob will be attached to a mechanical key, but it may also be a separate device. Fobs are most often made out of hard plastic and will have pressable buttons. If you ever lose yours or need spare, Affordable Lock & Security Solutions offers professional key fob replacement.
Did you know there are several different types of keys? Check these out:
- A transponder shank is either a basic car key or a laser-cut key. The major difference between a basic car key and a transponder key is that the chip in the transponder key must be programmed before it can start the vehicle. All dealerships have the machines necessary to program the key. Some might program it for free, but others will charge up to an hour of labor. Most auto locksmiths should also have these machines.
- You can tell a laser-cut key apart from a basic car key because the shank is slightly thicker and has fewer carved-out grooves. Laser-cut keys are often referred to as sidewinder keys due to the distinctive winding cut on the shank. The machines needed to cut these keys are significantly more expensive than a standard key-cutting machine and are not as likely to be found at every locksmith or hardware store.
- Laser-cut keys also have built-in transponder chips, and they need to be programmed at the dealership or by a locksmith, preferably one who is a member of the Associated Locksmiths of America (ALOA).
- A keyless entry remote, also known as a “smart key,” isn’t a car key in the traditional sense. It is a key fob that is either inserted in the dash or, in newer vehicles, stays in your pocket or purse. The driver can then enter the vehicle and start the engine with the press of a button.
- A keyless entry remote’s main form of security is its ability to use rolling security codes. The system randomizes the correct code and prevents thieves from hacking it through the use of a device called a code grabber. The vehicle’s computer recognizes the code emitted by the smart key and verifies it before starting the engine. Mercedes-Benz was one of the first automakers to use this technology and even coined the term “smart key.” Every vehicle in its lineup now uses a form of the smart key.
Get Your Remote Keys for Cars With Us!
Affordable Lock & Security is a “Full-Service Locksmith & Security Company” which constantly strives to provide our customers with the best quality mechanical and electronic security products and services at competitive prices while maintaining a consistently higher level of customer service than any of our competitors. This is accomplished by employing trained technicians, providing them with solid support to provide a customer experience that is second to none.
Call Us For Key Fob Replacement
Get your remote keys for cars today! Located in the heart of Tampa, the experts at Affordable Lock & Security Solutions are here to make sure that you have the perfect key replacement. If you are interested in learning more about how we can help you, call our security camera installers today or check out our website. We provide services to provide total security for every facet of life for residential, commercial, and industrial customers in Tampa, Ocala, Palm Harbor, Clearwater, Brandon, St. Petersburg, Clermont, The Villages and surrounding areas. Whether you need service for your home or business, we offer full-service residential locksmith, commercial locksmith, and industrial security services to keep your home or business completely secure.